Thursday, June 02, 2005

Books

"I have often reflected upon the new vistas that reading opened to me. I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life. As I see it today, the ability to read awoke in me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive." ~ Malcolm X

Reading is an important part of my life. For me its a means of escaping the daily grind, of expanding my horizons, of understanding the world around me, of understanding my myself and my role with-in this world of ours. Its typically the last thing I do before sleeping and it occupies my dreams. I find it calming to squeeze a bit of reading in throughout the day too.

In this post I will share some of the books that I've read, currently reading or plan to read, which are relevant to my 'Journey On The Road To Healthy Living'. This list will be added to from time to time so be sure to check back!



"Life Without Ed: How One Women Declared Independence From her Eating Disorder, and How You Can Too. "
Author: Jenni Schaefer & Tom Rutledge
Publisher:
McGraw-Hill Professional
ISBN: 0071422986
My Rating: Currently Reading.... it's good.

"Jenni had been in an abusive relationship with Ed for far too long. He controlled Jenni's life, distorted her self-image, and tried to physically harm her throughout their long affair. Then Jenni met psychotherapist and author Thom Rutledge. He taught her how to treat her eating disorder as a relationship, not a condition. By thinking of her eating disorder as a unique personality separate from her own, Jenni was able to break up with Ed once and for all." ~ Back Cover (of the book)



"Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines"
Author: Nic Sheff
Publisher:
Simon & Schuster
ISBN: 1416972196
My Rating: 7.5 out of 10

This is an excellent view into the world of addiction & how it can completely take over your life. Although I'm not a Meth, Heroine, or Cocaine fiend/addict; I have found a lot of similarities in this book, to my drug of choice...Food. Yes, it's less addictive & not nearly as life threatening in the short term.... But in the long term the same result is bound to ensue: DEATH.

This book was an excellent read, albeit a nerve racking one.



"The Hungry Years: Confessions of a Food Addict"
Author: William Leith
Publisher:
Anchor Canada
ISBN: 0385661169
My Rating: 9 out of 10

Sherri & I were at a bookstore yesterday when Sherri said "I found a book that I bet you'll want to read". I walked with her to the 'new release' section and she plopped this book into my hands.

I gave the book a quick once over and found all I needed to know to purchase it...... A great review by 'MACLEAN'S Magazine', 'The Globe and Mail', the 'Toronto Star' and 'The Guardian' (UK) to name a few, plus the following synopsis:
"One January morning in 2003, William Leith woke up to the fattest day of his life. That same day he left London for New York to interview controversial diet guru Dr. Atkings. What started out as a routine assignment set Leith on an intensely personal and illuminating journey into the mysteries of hunger and addiction. THE HUNGRY YEARS charts new territory for anyone who has ever had a craving or counted a calorie. This story of food, fat and addition will change the way you look at food forever."
I read this book over the course of 2 days......I was glued to it. I was overwhelmed by emotion through the whole book....it even brought on a small binge attack. I couldn't believe just how many thoughts and emotions he was able to put into words for me. This book gave me a lot to think about. It made me realize that I'm on the right path. I highly recommend reading it!



"Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal"
Author: Eric Schlosser
Publisher:
Harper Collins
ISBN: 0060938455
My Rating: 9 out of 10













"Free Your Breath, Free Your Life: How Conscious Breathing Can Relieve Stress, Increase Vitality, and Help You Live More Fully"
Author: Dennis Lewis
Publisher:
Shambhala Publications
ISBN: 1590301331
My Rating: Still Reading!











"Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think"
Author: Dennis Greenberger, PhD & Christine A. Padesky, PhD
Publisher:
Guilford Publications
ISBN: 0898621283
My Rating: Still Reading!










"Food Politics"
Author: Marion Nestle, PhD., M.P.H
Publisher:
University Of California Press
ISBN: 0520240677
My Rating: On My 'To Read List'.













"The End of Food: How The Food Industry Is Destroying Our Food Supply, and What You Can Do About It"
Author: Thomas F. Pawlick
Publisher:
Greystone Books
ISBN: 1553651693
My Rating: Bought it...haven't starting reading yet.

Labels:

|

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMmmmmmm... buttery toast.... mmmmmmmmm.....

8:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home