Monday, May 16, 2005

The Road Ahead

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. "
~
Douglas Bader

I know what changes need to be made in my life to obtain the balanced healthy lifestyle that I wish to achieve.
If I've learned anything from past failures its that you need to start off slow.

Rules tend to be useless because they are far too ridged. People talk about bending the rules, but typically they just end up being broken, and a broken rule sounds a lot like an act that needs punishment or reprimand. This line of thinking typically leads to throwing out the rules... who really needs to feel like that?

I prefer to set guidelines for myself. Guidelines allow for the occasional slip up, unavoidable situation or reward. They give you the flexibility to maintain your goals, but they still need to be followed to achieve them.

I tend to be a creature of habit and I live a pretty structured lifestyle. Unfortunately the habits and structures that I'm currently following are of the unhealthy kind. Introducing a lot of changes all at once is a receipt for disaster and ultimately failure. Therefore I've decided to take this journey very slowly, starting off with baby steps.

My plan is to set a few simple guidelines to start off with. At the end of the first week I will report on my progress/success and I will add new guidelines or build upon the existing ones in the following weeks/months. Over time these guidelines should start to become habit forming and therefore they will become second nature.

I'll report back shortly with my with my first set of guidelines.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home