Friday, February 24, 2006

Blue With Envy

"I went into a McDonald's yesterday and said, 'I'd like some fries.' The girl at the counter said, 'Would you like some fries with that?' " ~ Jay Leno

Grocery shopping is getting easier every day now. I really happy to see more organic products being offered as well as healthier alternatives to old favorites. I can't tell you how happy I am with Presidents Choice in regards to their new Blue Menu products.

Here's a few of my favorites:
- BBQ Rice Chips: 33 chips; only 200 calories & 2g of fat...& you still get 1g Fiber & 2g Protein.
- 100% Whole Wheat Penne: Has 19g Fiber and 27g Protein in only 1 serving....holy crap!
- Thick & Juicy Herb & Spice Chicken Burgers: Only 6g of fat (1.5 is Saturated)
- Mediterranean Chicken Breasts: Only 2.5g Fat. Currently in my freezer waiting to be tried.
- Whole Wheat Tortillas: 4g Fiber, 5g Protein, 5g Fat, 31g Carbs (which is better than most).
- Gigantico 100% Whole Wheat Burger Buns: I haven't had these yet....but they look good.

I could add a ton more items....but you get the idea. I can't seem to find an exact figure on their webpage, but they seem to have release over 200 new items. More importantly it seems to be something they plan on focusing on more in the future.....which is good news for everyone.

I've often been frustrated my the food industry pushing products on consumers in the past. I was a victim of the whole 'low fat, high carb fad in the past and I supported that movement by buying vast quantities of goods aimed at that market.

There's a book related to this topic that I plan on reading called "Food Politics" by Marion Nestle who was the "Editor of the 1988 Surgeon General's Report on Nutrition and Health". This book "... vividly illustrates food politics in action: watered-down government dietary advice, schools pushing soft drinks, diet supplements promoted as if they were First Amendment rights. When it comes to the mass production and consumption of food, strategic decisions are driven by economics -- not science, not common sense, and certainly not health."

I have a few too many books on the go....so for now it'll have to stay on the shelf.

Well that's it for now....Here's to Presidents Choice's Blue menu & Healthy eating.....CHEERS!

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home