Thursday, February 23, 2006

My Frankenstein Breakfast Cereal

"The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves." ~ Carl G. Jung

Okay....before you start to read this I have to let you know that I'm a bit anal/OCD about things sometimes. Try to keep that in mind while you read this post...........ENJOY.

A couple months ago Sherri and I bought a new breakfast cereal called 'Go Lean' by a company called Kashi. In one serving this cereal packs 13g of Protein, 10g of Fiber and only 1g of fat, which is unbelievable compared to your average healthy breakfast cereal. I'll admit that its not as tasty as Honey Nut Cherrios....but its far healthier, and as far as high fiber cereals go I like the taste of this one the best.

A few weeks later I came across another Kashi cereal called 'Go Lean Crunch'. Like its predecessor its packed with 9g Protein, 8g Fiber and only 3g of fat, but this cereal has 13g of sugar, which explains why it tastes so damn good.

I was a bit worried about the amount of sugar in the Crunch cereal so I started mixing the 'Go Lean' & the 'Go Lean Crunch' together in a half & half mixture.

After eating the half & half mixture I was happy with the taste and content with the nutritional values as well....but I couldn't help wonder if I could make it even better. I searched through my cupboard and dug out my other fiber cereal 'All-Bran Buds' by Kelloggs which is also high in fiber with 12g per serving, but more importantly its high in psyllium fiber which according to the FDA "The soluble fiber from psyllium seed husk in this product, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease."

So I decided to add some All-Bran Buds into the mixture...but why stop there.

Flax seed is also a great source of nutrients providing in one tablespoon: 2g Protein, 3g Fiber and 3.7g Fat mostly in the form of omega-3 fatty acid, according to Flax Council of Canada.

The only thing this super cereal breakfast was missing was some fruit, so I decided to add a 1/2 of a banana.

So here's the serving sizes and the nutritional information:

Serving Sizes:
- 1/4 Cup of All-Bran Buds
- 1/3 Cup of Go Lean
- 1/3 Cup of Go Lean Crunch
- 1 tablespoon of flax seed (ground into a powder, so your body can digest it)
- 1/2 of a medium sized banana
- 1 cup skim milk

Nutritional Information:
Energy - 411 Calories
Fat - 5.9g
Saturated Fat - .6g
Trans Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - Omg
Sodium - 355mg
potassium - 1173mg
Total Carbs - 78g
Fiber - 22.7g
Sugar -42g (mostly in the form of Lactose from the milk & fructose from the banana)
Protein - 22.1g
Vitamin A - 10% Daily Value
Calcium - 37.3% Daily Value
Iron - 43% Daily Value
Vitamin B6 - 20% Daily Value (all from the banana)
Vitamin B12 - 50% Daily Value (all from the milk)
Vitamin D - 45% (all from the milk)

I don't know about you....but my Frankenstein Breakfast contains one hell of a nutrient rich wallop.

Let me know what you think...I already know I'm nuts.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home