Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Lost The Battle.....But The War's Not Over.

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

Well I blew the last 2 weeks in a little more than 5 days. Once I was at Sherri's parents place all caution was thrown to the wind......and here in Newfoundland it really blows.

I managed to put on 4 lbs in that short time, but I'm back on track. I'm seriously going to have to plan better for eating away from home. I found that without my daily routine it was really easy to go off track and into the frame of mind of "Oh well....I'll start again tomorrow".

I'm a bit worried since I'm going to be away for 2 weeks in April......back in Ontario with my family & friends. The same friends I usually ate badly with.

I'll report back soon, once I've had a bit of time to wrap my head around this.

Hope everyone's having a great week.

Labels:

|

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When one chooses a long term goal that is difficult, it is not whether you fail of succeed; it is how you react to the failures. No one can stay on task without lapses.

RE: visiting friends. I shoot for "successful failures" when with family and friends. You just can't be good all the time, so I try to give in here and there without completely throwing in the towel. In my case, I can't resist the double chesseburger, but I can pass on the chocolate cake. The dark beer calls my name, but I can skip fatty breakfast items. Come the cold reality of Monday morning, I have gained but not as much as I could have.

The hardest thing for me about falling off the wagon is that for the first few days I am back to ground zero in resisting temptation. I crave all the things I just indulged in like Day 1 of my diet. It goes away faster than the beginning of the diet, but it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking "I am going to crave this for the rest of my life. I'll give in eventually -- why not now?"

11:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Sir Chubalot, I've learnt not to feel that once you've given in to one or two things that you may as well give up until tomorrow, or after the weekend.

There have been several times when I've lost it one evening, or overdone lunch because I was out with friends, but because I'm back on track with the next meal then the damage has been negligable. I've had weeks, like this past one, where I've feared that because I went out for a meal and had one or two wee extras that I must have put on a pound, but I've still lost a pound.

I mean, if you're lunch ends up being, for example, 1,500 calories, the fact is that you'd have had 7 or 800 anyway. So you've not gained an extra 1,500, you've only gained 700 which isn't anything like as bad as you fear.

Keep at it!

4:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home