Sunday, June 04, 2006

Starting Fresh....Take 2

"Next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained."
~
Duke of Wellington

The last few months have been really difficult for me. When I left home to visit Ontario I managed to erase the progress that I had made in the prior 14 wks. Any weight that I didn't gain back on my vacation was gained back on my return with the reintroduction of my old habits.

Since my return I've spent the better part of my time in denial and self pity which has only exasperated the problem. I've been off work since the 2nd week in January which has only added fuel to the fire.

A few weeks ago I re-injured my knee which has since sidelined me from returning to my seasonal job. The injury came the day before my first shift.

Now more than ever I realize I need to rekindle "my personal journey on a road to healthy living".

After much thought I've decided to keep my original starting date which means this will be the start of week 22. Wiping the slate clean would of erased my successes as well as my failures, not to mention that experience has taught me that the best way to grow is by learning and evolving from our mistakes.

Labels:

|

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, thanks for all the kind stuff you have said about me. Even with my success, I am still about 100 pounds heavier then you - so don't feel overwhelmed, people far worse off are getting fitter. I really appreciate how personal you get here, best of luck.

11:30 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I think your decision to not reset the time clock to 0 is a wise one and more helpful to those who will come later.

10:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's only failure if you fail to learn from it.

My wife and I were looking over our stats for the last 6 months or so. Because of the Xmas gain, problems in January and February, it looks like we've only lost about a stone since then. And yet, we've also lost that stone over the past couple of months.

What we've learnt from the experience will stand us in good stead next Xmas. And it shows us that we are capable of getting things back under control.

Keep with it! One day you too will merely be overweight!

1:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I very much appreciate your posting about your experience Sir Squishy. I'm going through something similar right now. Having returned from vacation with a gain, I thus far haven't been on track for more than a day at a time. I'm glad to see that you are back in the battle. I hope you keep posting even as you struggle, even when you're not up to the struggle.

Also, looking at your stats, you are still .6 pounds below your January weight. I know this seems insignificant. It isn't when you consider that people who lose weight often regain that weight plus some added pounds. In my own case, I lost 65+ pounds and regained all but 7 of those pounds. Holding on to that 7 pound loss has been important to me.

From late Sept. 2005 until the Spain trip, I got rid of 21 lbs. I regained 6 in Spain and 3 since our return to Spain. I'll either be getting rid of this weight or adding to it at this point. Like you, I have a choice. Like you, I too frequently allow myself give in to the more self indulgent option.

I'll be cheering both of us on to greater self control.

4:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home