Monday, August 21, 2006

Fast Food Nation: "The Big One" Movie!!!

"If one considers some typical modern foods- hamburgers laden with growth hormones, vegetables laced with pesticides, soft drinks full of refined sugar, and foods too numerous to mention whose colour and taste have been artificially enhanced by manufactured chemicals-one could easily imagine that the goal of the global food system is simply to provide the global health care system with more customers." ~ Helena Norberg-Hodge ('Bringing The Food Economy Home: Local Alternatives To Global Agriculture')



This movie is already starting to generate a lot of heat;
Now, more than a dozen trade groups representing producers of beef, potatoes, milk and snacks, along with restaurant groups, are fighting back with a media campaign to counter what one groups contends is the "indigestible propaganda" Mr. Schlosser is spreading.
- Wall Street Journal
I can hardly wait to see this! The book was amazing......hopefully they can pull it off well as a movie.

Labels:

|

8 Comments:

Blogger katiebird said...

Well, I just lost an award-winning comment!

I'm looking forward to seeing Fast Food Nation too. I read something about it in Entertainment Weekly and it sounds like they've come up with a clever way of making it into a good move.

And thank you so much for the kind words you left at my blog and for adding me to your link list!! I've already added you to mine (I was hoping to beat you). I'm so glad that I'm meeting so many other people with the same goal of learning to live a more healthy lifestyle.

xxoo
katiebird

10:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
thank you for the link - fitness mantra strives to make fitness a way of life.
i wish you much success in your journey to health and happiness!
-fm.

1:19 a.m.  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi! Ran into you on Paul's blog, and I was looking at the comments you made about the stuff he had to go through for his new job. Canda really is different. I was surprised you don't have to provide proof of citizenship...how do Canadian employers know the people they are hiring are legal workers??? It was interesting the differences, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I'll stop by more often now.

Melissa

6:45 a.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Films like this and Supersize Me really help with steering clear of those fast-food joints

6:47 a.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Hello Melissa....welcome to my blog.

In Canada the only piece of information you need for employement is a S.I.N (Social Insurance Number)....which is how the government keeps track of your income. As long as the S.I.N number provided comes back with your name your okay. Its assumed that if you have a S.I.N card your a citizen.

Note to Kim,

I'm hoping that this movie is a huge success.....not neccesarily for how it will help me, but for the message that it can send to the general public...."were letting ourselves get fat.....& we can stop that from happening".

But I have to admit after reading the book I my visits to McD's have dropped to about 1 ever 3-4 months......so the movie should only help this reduce further. :)

10:17 a.m.  
Blogger Sayre said...

I had no idea there was a Fast Food Nation movie! I will definitely go see this one. I saw Supersize Me and was horrified.

My approach to fast food now is this: Before going, I go to the website and check out the nutrition charts. I decide what I will eat BEFORE I go and don't even look at the menu when I get there. Looking at the nutrition chart is often pre-emptive. I get so depressed at seeing what I would be eating that I wind up not going after all.

Works for me!

8:46 a.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

The movie was a complete let down!

12:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just watched Fast Food Nation, it's an impactful flick to say the least... earlier today i passed up a sausage mcmuffin because of it. Evidently it is worth passing up fast food for more than health reasons.

5:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home