Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Phoenix Returns

"The Phoenix: Beautiful, glorious and sacrificing self for renewal, you build a pyre and set yourself ablaze. For the sake of self. Red bird of fire you come forth through your ashes a new bird shedding the old self which no longer is needful. You embrace your new strength and
fly to the heights of the sky to the city of the sun and give the ashes unto the alter of the sun god for your immortality. Embrace yourself for you are a child of the sun and will live eternal through birth, death, and renewal! The spirit never dies!" ~ Rebecca Wiles

Where to start? Maybe with the truth!

I arrived home from vacation on Oct. 3rd, 2006. The first time I stepped on a scale was on Oct. 5th and I weighed in at 235.8 lbs @ 32% Body Fat. The very next day I weighed myself again and I was down to 233.6 lbs @ 32.6% BF.

I knew that I was going to gain weight while on vacation.....it was inevitable. The food in Ireland was great, but I suppose things like deep fried brie in a Guinness batter didn't help the situation any.

When I arrived home I continued the lifestyle that I had experienced while on vacation. I didn't think about what I was eating until the guilt set in later after it was too late. A few times I actually broke down and decided enough was enough, but my effort was usually reduced to eating better for a day or in some cases only a single meal, before I was back into vacation mode.

This morning Sherri said "Maybe you should post a new message on your blog"....which was great advice....it was also something that I had been avoiding for some time now.

Today went well. I weighed myself this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought....232 lbs @ 33.5% BF. I ate a healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks......I went for a short walk (something I haven't done in a long time), made up a to-do list for the rest of the week and caught up on a bit of reading. Actually it was a great day.

I have always had a really hard time keeping healthy habits going for a long time. Sometimes I last a month or two, but typically the duration is even shorter, say a few weeks. What I've realized is that sooner or later everyone messes up and falls off track, but the important thing is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and continue down that healthy path.

In the end it all boils down to 2 challenges for me:

1. Staying on track for longer periods of time.
2. Getting back on track faster after losing my way.

Now that I've got this first message out of the way, I'm hoping to post regularly again.

Thanks for your support and for not giving up on me!

Labels:

|

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up, Sir Squishy. I've been checking your blog almost every day for quite a while in hopes there'd be a new post. There is no miracle thought, idea or action that will make all this easy, second nature and routine. It's just like you said - you fall off for a while but you just have to get back on it and try to be as healthy as possible for the sake of yourself, your family and your future. I lost 70 pounds 3 years ago and in the past year have gradually gained back about 6 or 7 pounds which is horrifying to me. Ahhhh, the constant struggle never goes away to figure out how to do this again. If I figured it out once why won't it work again? We're all here, right here with ya. Keep at it. We all need each other to get through this. Allie

11:12 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{{Sir Squishy}} I'm so glad to see you.

I know you can get your focus back -- Just take it one day, one hour at a time.

I've been struggling too. So I totally know what you're going through.

xxoo
katiebird

PS, it's great to see you back. I've missed you.

9:26 p.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Thanks Allie and Katiebird for the kind words of support!

10:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home