Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Goals & Guidelines for 2008

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." ~ Confucius

Overall Fitness Goal: I would like to become far more physically active this year. I want to improve my cardiovascular capacity and my overall strength. As I lose weight I'm hoping my knee will be able to withstand more strenuous activities.

Fitness Guidelines:
1. To get +20 mins exercise each day (working up to +30mins).
2. To purposely park father away from my destination.
3. To walk/bike more often as an alternative to driving.
4. To allocate 1 day a week to rest.

Fitness Activity Goals:
1. To start bike riding.
2. To start hiking (local trails)
3. To start Kayaking.
4. To join the local Curling Club.
5. To start Cross Country skiing.

Overall Nutrition Goals: I recognize that this is one area that needs to be completely overhauled in my life. The funny thing is that I actually well read & educated on the topic. My goal is to successfully use this knowledge and put it into action.

Nutrition Guidelines:
1. To drink 8+ 8 oz glasses of water each day.
2. To eat 5-6 times daily.
3. To eat slowly, chew more and enjoy my food.
4. To consume 5-10 servings of fruit & vegetable each day.
5. To reduce/eliminate Saturated Fat and Trans Fats.
6. To prepare & eat more meals @ home, while reducing dining out.
7. To eliminate visits to Fast Food Restaurants when dining out.

Mental Health Goals: In the past I've allowed stress to build up without a means of coping with it beyond the comfort of food...I've always been an emotional eater. My new goal is a two pronged approach. Firstly I need to reduce the overall stress in my life. Secondly I need to create new coping mechanisms to deal more effectively with stress. Achieving/following my above fitness goals/guidelines would be a great start.

Mental Health Guidelines:
1. To get between 7-8 hrs sleep daily.
2. To allocate +15 mins daily to reading.
3. To research & start practicing meditation/relaxation techniques.
4. To take 2-3 mins every hour or so to take few deep breaths/stretch.
5. To organize and complete a weekly To-Do list.
6. To maintain my blog & relationships online.
7. To keep contact with my friends & family
8. To have 1 cheat meal & desert each week.

Other Goals:
1. Become a Big Brother
2. Become an active member of the "David Suzuki Foundation"

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home