Saturday, February 09, 2008

Day 750: All's Well That Ends Well

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." ~ Edward Rickenbacker

Yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag. I woke up at a decent time, ate a good breakfast, worked a bit in the garage, chat awhile with a few friends, ate a good lunch, drove to town to complete a few tasks, had a healthy snack, worked on my blog........Then it happened.

Okay, the "then" wasn't really that bad, I was really just trying to be a bit dramatic. Sherri's niece came over for supper. We decided to have hamburgers, seasoned diced roasted potatoes and a mixed green salad. In the past I used to eat 2 hamburgers. Over the last year or so I've been eating 2 hamburgers, but using only one bun, which was typically whole wheat. So last night I had 2 hamburgers with 1 slice of cheese, a tomato slice on.....hold your breath....on a large white bun. Sherri dug out a 1/2 package of white hamburger buns from the back of the fridge & we decided to just finish them off. We try to always buy whole wheat, but occasionally they're sold out and you have no choice.....if company is coming over for example.

Supper was delicious, I so enjoyed the burger. I ate a larger portion of potatoes than I would have liked but it wasn't the end of the world, but tell that to my stomach.

Before I continue I guess I should tell a short (if there's ever such a thing with me) back story. I've always had a bit of a weak stomach. If I get sick from a cold, the flu, or just generally under the weather, my stomach is usually the first to suffer. In the past stress & depression lead to more serious stomach ailments and I was diagnosed with I.B.S or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In any case my I.B.S is very mild unless my level of stress/depression or excitement is really high. When I was a child my parents used to keep surprise trips secret until the last possible moment because I'd get sick to my stomach from excitement. Excess amounts of fatty or spicy foods can set me off as well. Basically my stomach is a ticking time bomb.

Back to the main story. Now where was I? Oh yeah......tell that to my stomach. About 15mins after supper my stomach started to protest. After eating smaller meals/snacks, 5 to 6 times a day for the last week or so, 2 hamburgers alone was too much food, not even considering the potatoes or the salad. Add a glass and half of diet Pepsi into the equation and you can only imagine the fiesta I had going on in my stomach.

Two or three hours, a couple of Tums, and a few bathroom visits later and I had learned a very important lesson. From now on 1 hamburger will be fine.....with less potatoes.

After our company left and my stomach settled down I worked on my blog. At around 11:15 pm, feeling much better, I decided to have a go on the elliptical machine (I hadn't exercised yet) to work off a bit of the excess food.

I set a new personal record (over last 2 wks) 415 calories burnt over 37.5 mins.

So in the end "all's well that ends well".

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home