Thursday, February 21, 2008

Got a cold......should I exercise?

"Nothing in life is static; it either gets better, or it gets worse."
~ Lloyd Dobens


Hopefully in my case it gets better. I'm feeling a bit under the weather today, but it's not bad enough to hold me back. My throat is sore & I'm a bit tired, but that's all. The question is: am I well enough to exercise? Is there any steadfast rule to follow? According to fitness expert Chris Freytag (author of "Shortcuts to Big Weight Loss" and "Move to Lose"):
The rule I like to use is called the "neck check." If your symptoms are all above the neck, like a runny nose or a sore throat, then you're okay to exercise. Of course you should always listen to your body and take the intensity of your workout down a bit if your regular pace feels too strenuous.

... If you're suffering from congestion or low energy, exercise often helps you feel better.

However, if you have any symptoms below the neck, such as body aches, chills, stomach problems or diarrhea, then I advise you to take it easy until you're feeling better. And if you're running a fever, no matter where your symptoms are, put off exercising until your temperature returns to normal.

~ Prevention Magazine
I seldom act on any advice given by a single source.....so I found the following source that shares the same thinking as the above quote:

WebMD - Exercising When Sick: A Good Move?

Now that I have the answer to my question, hopefully I can sweat this cold out.

Labels: ,

|

2 Comments:

Blogger Apex Zombie said...

Yeah, I've read much the same as well.

Hope you feel better man.

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger ArleneWKW said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. And welcome back to the world of
blogging too. I periodically checked your blog during your absence, then finally gave up and removed you from my list of on-line friends on the home page of my blog. I am so so glad to have been so so wrong. You've been
added back. I really like what I've learned from my own 6 week absence and your longer absence from and then return to the world of blogging. We may take breaks from that world, but many of our friends keep checking to
see if we've returned. This makes me happy.

Re. this post. It's a paradox that exercise can be an excellent way to get out of a low energy funk. If I can just remember that when I feel to tired to exercise, I'd have won a major battle.

4:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home