Thursday, March 20, 2008

10k Run Registration

"The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else."
~ Geoffery Gaberino


Well I've officially registered for my 1st 10k Run. On July 1st, 2008 (Canada Day) I will run 10k for the first time in 17 years in the "Hbc (Hudson Bay Company) Run For Canada". The run is being held in various cities across Canada & I'll be participating in the St. John's event here in Newfoundland.

The last 10k run I participated in was back in the 1991 Persechini's Easter Seals Run/walk-a-thon, held in Newmarket, Ontario. I was 18 at the time and I managed to finish the run in 48 mins (if my memory serves me correctly.....who knows). I wasn't much of a runner back then, but at least I was pretty active. This run occurred just prior to my 1st knee injury.

I'm really looking forward to this event. I'm confident that I'll be able to finish it, the only question is how long will it take me? July 1st, 2008 is just under 15 weeks away, which gives me plenty of time to continue my weight loss and improve on my physical conditioning.

At least once a week for the last month I've been pushing myself more than usual on the elliptical machine. I haven't announced it prior to now, but the main reason for doing this was in preparation for this upcoming run. I plan to do most of my conditioning on the elliptical machine since it's a lot easier on my joints (particularly my knee). Somewhere around 4-6 weeks prior to the event, I'll start testing out my knee on some short jogs........ just to confirm that my knee will hold up during the event.

I've gradually been ramping up the intensity and length of my elliptical sessions, and I will continue to do so from here on in.

That's it for now....... I'm sure I'll be mentioning/expanding on this topic many times over the next 15 weeks.

If you're interested in learning more about this event, or would like to read my profile.......
or more importantly would like to SPONSOR ME, you can do so HERE.

Labels: ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home