Monday, June 16, 2008

Reporting In For Duty

"I think a man's duty is to find out where the truth is, or if he cannot, at least to take the best possible human doctrine and the hardest to disprove, and to ride on this like a raft over the waters of life." ~ Plato

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time today and the results as saddening as they are, the one thing they're not is surprising...... 237.4 lbs @ 35.4% BF.

ARGH.

A lot of things have been keeping me off track lately, but none of them are really serious. I often go to sleep with grand visions of what the next day will hold only to wake up and continue the previous days routine, or lack of one. Other days I wake up start the day off right only to fizzle later on in the day. I've yet to have more than a few successful means at a time before self destructing.

On the topic of destructing, my knee has been pretty bad as of lately. About 3 weeks ago it gave out on me and has been acting up since. I really can't lift anything or put weight on it for any extended amount of time without risking it giving out again, which really sucks since my run/walk-a-thon is coming up on July 1st..... not that I was ready for it anyways. I have no plans to drop out..... I will complete the event. I might be hobbling over the finish line, but I will complete it.

Another thing that's been bumming me out is the fact that I'm still not employed. This year was supposed to be the busiest year ever for Heavy Equipment Operators in our province, but unfortunately the largest 4 jobs have been delayed. My position on the wait list with our union is crawling along, and I'm not even sure if I'll make it to the top of the list before the end of 2008 at the current pace. Outside of union work I've applied for several positions but have had little or no luck so far. I'm really not that worried. I know I'll find work soon, but the process is really beginning to take it's toll.

I have had some positive experiences over the last week or so. The garage was an absolute disaster zone. We simply had too much stuff in there to keep things organized. Stuff was stacked on top of each other and even when it was neat it was only a matter of time before it was messy again because anytime you wanted something you were forced to move several other things to get at it. Enough was enough. I removed some light shelves that I made last year (re-using the material) and constructed a really beefy shelf unit that now holds most of the stuff that was occupying the garage. I hung the bikes from the ceiling and cleaned up my tools. I'm currently about 90% finished what I wanted to accomplish......we could actually pull in a car now if we wanted too.

Beyond the garage I have tackled some smaller projects as well and I have to admit that it makes me feel better to actually accomplish something.

As for my blog, I've been avoiding it like so many things in my life. I really don't want to make any promises......frankly I don't know/think I could keep them. I do know that the one thing I'm certain I can do is update my To-Do List and update my stats on my sidebar. That's at least a start.

Thanks for the continued support.

Labels:

|

4 Comments:

Blogger ArleneWKW said...

Sorry to learn of your knee problems and lack of employment. Despite all, I notice that you are 5.6 pounds less than a you were when you started your blog. I know it's difficult to keep up one's motivation. It's taken me a number of years to get mine finally back.

4:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey--motivation is a real kicker sometimes. I quit the cancer sticks 3+ weeks ago..NOT going back. I am through with blowing smoke......

2:24 p.m.  
Blogger Brad Clements said...

Squishy, where are you? Have you given up, are you coming back... Come on now, get back in the saddle...

B

6:40 p.m.  
Blogger 40 Something said...

hey i am alive and on sparkpeople now, link on my blogger profile, hope your ok

3:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home