Monday, March 08, 2010

Water Myth

"I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man." ~ Henry David Thoreau

The advice: Chug eight glasses of water a day.

Why it's useless: Peeing every 20 minutes seriously interferes with life.

The real deal: Believe it or not, the eight-glass quota isn't etched in stone. Yes, we need to be well-hydrated, but if your urine is clear or close to it, you're probably getting enough fluids. If your No. 1 is neon yellow, lighten things up by adding one or two glasses a day. Once your body adjusts to getting more fluid (and you don't have to run to the can every 10 minutes), add another, says Karen Benzinger, R.D., a dietary consultant in Chicago who specializes in health care. And don't forget that all liquids--including tea, juice, even the tonic in your vodka drink--help keep your body sufficiently saturated.

~ Women's Health Magazine
I've never really had a problem getting enough water, but I thought this might be a relief to some of you.

Labels:

|

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that while the ideal is you are suposed to have 2 litres of fluid a day, this does include the fact that we get a fair chunk of fluid from the actual food we eat too.

But as you say, the advice I take is that at least once a day your urine should be clear, or close to. If it remains darker, then you're not getting enough fluids

1:35 p.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Very True.

11:50 a.m.  
Blogger Twon said...

I love water! I drink it nonstop all day. Burden of being a mouth breather I suppose, dry throat lol

10:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home