Saturday, March 17, 2012

Supplements

"Step into the supplement aisle of any pharmacy -- or, worse yet, health-food store -- and you see them: the dazed and confused. Lured by claims of health benefits available at the drop of a Dixie cup, they pick up 100 of these, 50 of those, a bubble pack of the other -- and, wait, did that say suppository? They yearn to swallow a cure, any cure, all the while wondering, Are any of these any good, really?" ~ Men's Health Magazine


I have reintroduced some supplements back into my diet. As always I did quite a bit of research online. I've often found "Men's Health" magazine to be very helpful, accurate, and more importantly conservative when reporting on supplements. After a quick google search I found a very useful article on supplements on their website titled "The Best Supplements For Men".

Of their 17 supplements, here's the one's I chose:
  1. Ginkgo Biloba --> helps combat the 3 o'clock slump
  2. Glucosamine + Chondroitin --> helps reduce knee pain
  3. Vitamin D --> helps your body detoxify & prevent colon cancer
  4. Green Tea --> helps increase resting metabolism
  5. Fish Oil --> helps with depression
  6. Melatonin --> helps get a better nights sleep

After a bit more research, I found the following:

Ginkgo may increase the risk of seizures if combined with other drugs or herbs that do the same, such as antidepressants, bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban), certain antibiotics such as penicillin and cephalosporins, Corticosteroids, fentanyl (Actiq, Duragesic), theophylline, methylphenidate (e.g. Concerta, Ritalin), drugs that suppress the immune system, such as azathioprine and cyclosporine, borage, evening primrose, and wormwood. ~ about.com Alternative Medicine

Since I'm on Wellbutrin I consulted with my family doctor before taking it. She concurred with these findings, so I removed Ginkgo Biloba from my list. It's really important to do your research before taking any supplement.

I've only been taking them for about 1 1/2 weeks so I'll have to report back later on with my findings.

Labels: , ,

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home