Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Real Beauty?

"Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness. What ails us is that our sense of beauty is so bruised and blunted, we miss all the best." ~ D. H. Lawrence

I have to commend 'Dove' for their "Campaign For Real Beauty". Its about time that corporations/media started to advertise a more realistic view of what beauty is by not imposing a view of how beauty should look.

Were constantly being bombarded with unrealistic images that its no wonder that so many people suffer from a poor self image/self-esteem.....I know...I'm one of them. Women have always been under more scrutiny than men, which isn't fair to say the least....but men are also subject to these unrealistic expectations placed upon us by society, and when I say society I'm really talking about the corporations of the world that have enough money to impose their views on the masses......but I won't get started on my view of corporations today.

I was talking to Sherri yesterday about how I've never felt truly comfortable with my appearance.....EVER. Don't get me wrong, I have my good moments.....most of which are in the company of Sherri or my very closest family members/friends, but these moments are short and fleeting.

I came to the realization that what I want most from my journey is to feel comfortable in my own skin for the first time. I'm already slowly developing a body image that is closer to the way it is and not the way I think I look. For now that progress makes me happy.

I look forward to the journey.

Labels:

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home