Sunday, July 09, 2006

Doctor Visit

"I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last week I mentioned a recent visit to the doctor, but at the time I didn't spill the beans about what occurred.......so here's the scoop (sorry about the food analogies):

I had been meaning to discuss a few sensitive things with my doctor for quite some time now, but for one reason or another I put it off. Usually I would tell myself 'you've got things under control' or 'get a grip.....you can deal with this by yourself' etc.....etc....

This last visit I went through my normal check-up and my doctor said 'so is there anything else I can do for you today?'. I must of hesitated because she followed up with 'what's on your mind'. With that little extra push I told her what was whirling around in my head. I explained that there were quite a few things that I was having a hard time coping with......low self esteem, poor body image, binging & overeating......and that I had a definite emotional attachment to food. I also let her know that this was a life long struggle and not something that has just appeared lately due to stress etc....although those things defiantly make things worse. I asked if maybe I should see a therapist.

She smiled and told me that all of these things can be dealt with through heavy medication...............hehehehe..................just kidding.

She let me know that all of the above is connected and that my best course of action was to see a psychologist since they deal with cognitive-behavioral therapy. In other words instead of just discussing my problems they would be able to help me identify & understand my thought processes that leads to these problems. From there the psychologist would be able to provide me with the tools to help me change the way I think.

This of course was the readers digest version of our conversation. In the end I've been put on a waiting list to see the local psychologist.....which could be up to 6mths from now.

I'm glad that I was able to admit that I needed help.....it only took me the last 14yrs to admit it.

I know that this is definitely a step in the right direction......I can hardly wait for my first session.

Labels:

|

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Self-analysis is needed to change bad eating and fitness behavior, I think this can be a very positive step in your preparation to live life healthier.

5:27 p.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Thanks!

5:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cognitive behavioral is an excellent approach. I'm glad you'll be getting this kind of help

10:15 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home