Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 1730

"Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. You are here to realize your inner divinity and manifest your innate enlightenment." ~ Morihei Ueshiba Founder of Aikido

I'm soooooo excited. Not only is today the opening ceremonies for the Olympics, it also marks the day of my first ever Aikido class (later today). Before I was a teenager I took Judo for about a year or so, and I absolutely loved it. Ever since I can remember I've thought about joining some for of martial arts, but for one reason or another (primarily my knee in later years) I never fulfilled that dream.

I chose Aikido because it's primary focus is on self-defense, fundamentals & techniques.
Aikido was developed in the early 20th century by Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969), often referred to as O-Sensei (Great Teacher). He was a gifted martial artist who had trained extensively in ju-jitsu, kenjutsu (sword arts) and sojutsu (spear arts) and then combined and modified techniques from each to reflect his personal convictions concerning self-defence, peace and harmony. Consequently, the purpose of Aikido is not the destruction of an enemy but, rather, the control of difficult human aggression. Peaceful resolution of conflict is the ultimate goal of Aikido. These aims are reflected in the name which is made up of three characters: Ai (to meet or harmonize), Ki (energy, spirit or mind) and Do (the way). Combined these become the Way of Harmonious Spirit.
I'm so proud of myself for finally fulfilling this dream.

Labels: ,

|

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

Good luck with aikido!

2:24 p.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Thanks Scott.... for the comment and visiting my blog.

5:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Judy Rnger said...

I add my good wishes to your Aikido journey. After 16 years, I am still on the path, both on and off the mat.

Good ki!

11:42 a.m.  
Blogger BornSquishy said...

Thank you Judy! Welcome to my blog.

12:11 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am following up on the comment left by Judy Ringer on February 13. I am Judy's assistant. She would like to know if you would be interested in adding her book "Unlikely Teachers: Finding the Hidden Gifts in Daily Conflict" to your books link, and perhaps reviewing it on your blog. I would be happy to send you a complimentary copy of the book at your request. Please email me at cindy@virtuallyatyourservice.biz

You might find Unlikely Teachers interesting in that it is a book of stories on aikido and conflict, a practical tool to generate more power, presence, and flow in relationships and life.

2:02 p.m.  
Blogger 40 Something said...

Aidido is Neato!! WTG!

2:54 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home