Monday, February 08, 2010

Goals & Guidelines for 2010

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." ~ ConfuciusA few days ago I created a new post titled "Goals for 2010" which outlined several fitness goals and how I planned to achieve them. I've since saved that post as a draft so I could take a different approach. This post will present my overall goals & guidelines for 2010, which focuses on 3 categories: Fitness, nutrition & mental health (BALANCE). I'll list my overall goals, followed by specific goals & the guidelines that I plan to follow to achieve my specific & overall goals.

At some point in the near future, I'll create a new post dedicated to each of the 3 categories outlining how I plan to accomplish the goals specific to that category using the S.M.A.R.T mnemonic.

Overall Fitness Goal: I would like to become far more physically active this year. I want to improve my cardiovascular capacity and my overall strength. As I lose weight I'm hoping my knee will be able to withstand more strenuous activities.

Fitness Activity Goals:
1. Complete the "One Hundred Push Ups Training Program"
2. Complete the "CN Tower Climb for WWF"
3. Complete the "CIBC Run for the Cure"
4. To start bike riding.
5. To start hiking (local trails).
6. To start Kayaking.
7. To join the local Curling Club.
8. To start Cross Country skiing.
9. To start Snow Shoeing.
10. To start Skating
11. Join Akido Club.
12. To start Geocaching.

Fitness Guidelines:
1. To upload my BodyMedia collected data daily.
2. To burn +3200 calories each day.
3. To burn +500 more calories than I consume.
4. To get +60 mins exercise each day (50 mins moderate & 10 mins Vigorous).
5. To walk +5000 Steps each day.
6. To purposely park father away from my destination.
7. To walk/bike more often as an alternative to driving.
8. To allocate 1 day a week to rest.


Overall Nutrition Goals: I recognize that this is one area that needs to be completely overhauled in my life. The funny thing is that I actually well read & educated on the topic. My goal is to successfully use this knowledge and put it into action.

Nutrition Guidelines:
1. To log my meals & snacks daily. (Using BodyMedia "Activity Manager")
2. To drink 8+ 8 oz glasses of water each day.
3. To eat 5-6 times daily.
4. To eat slowly, chew more and enjoy my food.
5. To consume 5-10 servings of fruit & vegetable each day.
6. To reduce/eliminate Saturated Fat and Trans Fats.
7. To reduce sodium intake to below 2300 mg/day.
8. To prepare & eat more meals @ home, while reducing dining out.
9. To eliminate visits to Fast Food Restaurants when dining out. (Banned List)


Overall Mental Health Goals: In the past I've allowed stress to build up without a means of coping with it beyond the comfort of food... I've always been an emotional eater. My new goal is a two pronged approach. Firstly I need to reduce the overall stress in my life. Secondly I need to create new coping mechanisms to deal more effectively with stress. Achieving/following my above fitness goals/guidelines would be a great start.

Mental Health Goals:
1. To become a volunteer @ The General Hospital, Health & Sciences Centre.

Mental Health Guidelines:
1. To get between 7-8 hrs sleep daily.
2. To allocate +15 mins daily to reading.
3. To listen to music often.
4. To watch a movie once a week.
5. To research & start practicing meditation/relaxation techniques.
6. To take 2-3 mins every hour or so to take few deep breaths/stretch.
7. To organize and complete a weekly To-Do list.
8. To maintain my blog & relationships online.
9. To keep contact with my friends & family.
10. To have 1 cheat meal & desert each week.

P.S: Sherri wanted to know where the "Sherri" category was and I had to explain to her that she was an integral part of the other 3 categories.... to which her response was "but where is the buy Sherri presents goal?". It's going to be a long year....lol.

I plan to update/modify this list throughout the year!

Labels:

|

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

The Sherri category is not a bad one. Even in the most loving relationships, we need to take that time to properly connect rather than just being in the same room together. Going for walks together, for example is far more intimate than watching the TV together :)

By writing this, I'm telling myself as much as mentioning it to you :)

10:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home